mechanics stethoscope

Esteemed Digesti,
One of the coolest tools I bought from the local hardware store discount bin
was a stethoscope. I put the business end on the cam cover nuts and each one
makes a distinctive sound. The water pump eminates a reassuring hum, the
front cover whirrs away as the timing chain does it's business. So, other
than idle (pun intended) musings of a bored tyro, of what use is such a
device as a mechanics stethoscope? It must be good for something!

Modelle in Somers Point
P.S. I'm looking for a line on an alfa valve spring compressor, four banger,
any sources, Digest? Thanks.