Burned valve

Since, I am a digester of this list, I leaned new words like "burned valve". I
never worried about that before (Audi and VW ownership) and in fact, to be
honest, I don't know what it is and what is the cause and symptom.

Any lister can provide me some explanation or a web site

I am currently in the process of adjusting my valve clearance on my 86 spider
and would appreciate to know the technical reason of doing it well.