Valve clearances

In a message dated 1/19/2003 9:51:13 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 15:35:53 -0800 (PST)
> From: Nash Bap <nashbap@domain.elided>
> Subject: Valve clearances

<snip>

> I suppose if performance and the rest be damned is all that matters
> tightening up the clearances might be useful. However, can anybody say
> whether they actually felt their performance improve after tightening up
> the clearances?
> Nash Bapasola

       I cannot say you can feel any difference in the seat of your pants
from a single small modification such as cutting the valve clearances down.
However, I can say that stict attention to detail though out the entire
engine will make a considerable difference.  Many people say the Bosch L
Jetronic spider is dead performance wise.  However, I can say that the cars
run quite well, in my opinion, once EVERYTHING is brought to spec.  By that I
mean cam timing, valve clearances, good spark plugs, wires, clean air
cleaner, etc.
       Oh, yes, and open up the exhaust.  The 75 to 89 Alfa spider exhaust
manifolds suck, in my not at all humble opinion.  Even if the car is not
faster, it will seem faster due to the noise.  <grin>

       And for what it is worth, my street Alfas are running with the
recommended 0.017 intake and 0.019 exhaust clearances.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City