Spider theft deterrent and which battery lead...

I recently moved my '72 Spider's battery from the engine compartment to the shelf behind the passenger seat, where it is boxed, bolted and strapped in place. I used 2/0 marine battery cable, the best quality stuff I was able to find. It is better than welding cable, and much better than the stock cables.

I put one of those green knob battery disconnects on the negative battery lead, so I can unobtrusively cut all power to the car from the driver's seat.

The starter cranks more energetically, handling is palpably lighter even at parking speeds (a surprise) and more neutral at speed, and removing the disconnect knob is an effective antitheft device. It is also much more convenient for disconnecting electrical power to work on the car.

Cheers,
Joe
Portland