164 brakes - replacement pad rec's? Squeal issue?

The brake squeal on my 164LS had gotten so bad that I'm willing to change the
pads to make it go away.  I was told by my former-dealer that the noise is
"normal" and that Alfa even sent them a special letter back in the day to
"prove" to agitated customers that the objective of Alfa brakes is to stop
you - NOT to sort of stop you while being nice & quiet and never dusting.  Oh
yeah - he also didn't put much stock in anti-squeal goop, but probably
because the noise doesn't bother HIM, but the mess might.

I want it all.

Now soliciting recommendations on brake pad brands/compounds (and anti-squeal
products or methods used with such).

My current pads don't have sensor wires (or I haven't found them) so the
replacements don't need to.  What I want is good initial (cold) stopping
power without fading over multiple "hard street" stops.  These don't have to
take 2 hours of lapping Lime Rock or some such, but I like to use the brakes
on an Alfa.

I'm sure someone will have opinions.  There are a number of places with after
market pads for sale in AlfaOwner alone.  None list the Lucas pads mentioned
in the 164 FAQ though.  What have you used & where did they come from?

Thanks,
-mike mcmahon
94 164LS - noisy when slowing, melodious otherwise
86 graduate - always beautiful music