you thought Alfas held a lot of oil

Sorry to be off topic, but I thought this was interesting.  I read in a
railroad magazine that a typical 7740 cubic-inch EMD (GM) two-stroke
diesel V-16 locomotive prime mover with a standard oil pan holds 243
gallons of oil.  The optional increased capacity pan holds 395 gallons.
They burn/leak 25-30 gallons a week in typical use.  According to the
article, they almost never have their oil completely changed between
rebuilds unless a problem is indicated, but rather just topped up as
needed and "sweetened" with additives.  New filters every 92 days.  I
imagine big ship and stationary diesels get treated the same way. That's
a lot of oil.

Andrew Watry