Bertone GTV quarter window gasket replacement - very long

after my posting on the headliner, i was hit by a deluge
of requests for advice/experience as well as someone
wanting help with his quarter window gaskets.  so, i will
post them both.       first the quarter window gasket :

>> Dion --
>>
>> I need to replace the rubber gasket around one of my rear
>> quarter vent windows, and its not obvious to me how much
>> chrome trim I need to remove to get the old one out and the
>> new one installed.  I've been told that I need to remove the
>> drip rail trim from the windshield to the back window.  It
>> sounds like you'be been through this.  Could you summarize
>> the steps?

Dean ( and others interested ) ,

the quarter window gasket is held in by being sandwiched
between the upper and lower stainless trim and the car
body.  you could probably remove the old gasket without
completely removing the trims off the car, but to replace them,
i recommend removing the upper and lower, and verticle
stainless trim.  now when i did my car, i was installing /
replacing everything, not just one item.  so there might be
an easier way.

first you need to remove the glass:
open the window and undo the screws holding the window latch
to the inside of the C-pillar ( the rear most  roof support ).  next,
peel up the door surround gasket along the B-pillar ( the roof
support between the door window and quarter window ).  remove
the screws holding the gasket mounting strip and remove the
strip.  now you have access to the mounting screws for the
window hinges.  have a helper hold the glass ( just in case )
while you undo the screws holding the hinges on.  there should
be three hinge blocks with one little screw each.  the window
should then pull out of the B-pillar rearwards.  this might also be
a good time the replace those little rubber hinge blocks.  if they
are in sorry shape, i suggest  doing the other side as well.

now its time to remove the stainless trim.  mine was jigsaw
puzzled together, and required a specific order of dissasembly.
carefully look at yours to verify what order you can remove them.

lower quarter window stainless trim:
remove the screws holding the trim to the body and carefully
pull it out.  mine was, and is again, sealed with a gummy
weather proofing called "strip caulking ."  it is also kind of
wedged in between the B-pillar trim and the drip rail trim.

B-pillar trim:
to pry the drip rail trim up to install the gasket, the B-pillar
stainless trim is in the way.  gently pry this vertical trim off from
the door gasket side, for it hooks around where the quarter
window was.

drip rail trim:
remove the screws holding the trim along the edge where the
top of your quarter window goes.  you now might be able to
pry up the lip enough to remove the old and install the new
gasket.  if not, then sorry, you now have much more work :
the drip rail might need to come out.  on my car, the only way
to remove the drip rail was from starting at the front, or in other
words, finishing in front for installation.  this will require more
door gasket and gasket mounting strip removal.  next, pry the
front of the drip rail down, out, and then up.  the trim will twist,
but if you dont force it and spread the load, you wont damage it .
once you work it over the corner above the door vent window,
it will come off easy.  mine was also held on with strip-caulk.
hopefully, you wont have to go this far !

now with all the trim removed, there is nothing holding the
gasket in !   just reverse the dissassembly for reassembly.
a LITTLE silicone grease smeared on the gasket / window
sealing surface will help the  window close a little easier ( but
also smear your window ) while the gasket takes a set.

if anyone knows an easier way, please speak up.  mines already
done, but others might benefit.

dion fields
'73 GTV under restoration, and looking GOOOOD
'88 Honda Hawk ( but she thinks she's a Ducati )
los angeles