GTV headliner replacement

Hi all,

The headliner on my 1974 GTV2000 needs replacing, and I bought a new
headliner from Re-Originals. I've never done any upholstery work, and went to
a local auto trim shop recommended by Di Fatta Bros. here in Baltimore. The
windshield is out of the car and I'm told that is necessary to properly
replace the headliner.

The guy at the trim shop was not familiar with the GTV, and asked if the rear
of the headliner is tucked under the rubber gasket for the rear glass. He
said if it is the rear glass also has to come out to replace the headliner. I
hate to have to do that unless absolutely necessary because of the chances of
cracking the glass or dinging the trim.

Has anybody out there ever replaced a GTV2000 headliner and does in fact the
rear glass has to be taken out if the job is to be done right?

Also has anybody out there replaced the headliner himself (or herself)? I'm
wondering how difficult that is for someone kike me who has done mechanical
work for 40+ years but has never done upholstery work?

thanks in advance.

John Doak in Baltimore, MD