Help? N. Cal Spider NOT passing SMOG....any tips to fix?

Yesterday, when tested, my '88 Spider Grad failed it's
SMOG test.  Max reading allowable was 140...and I
scored a wopping 342.  Failed both the Idle test and
2500 RPM test.  Black/blue smog was coming out of the
exhaust.

Then it dawned on me.....when did I last change the
oil?  I gotta be low.  True.  So I drained and
refilled. (to be honest...I probably was 1-3 Qts low).
Not good.  So I took the Spider back to the testing
station....telling the guy I changed the oil b/c I was
seriously low.  He tests again for free....passed the
Idle test....yet still failing the 2500 RPM test. (156
over 140).  This guy wants to diagnose/fix it for
me....starting at $175 to hook up to diagnostic
equip....so I can expect $175 + Parts + etc.

I have an aftermarket exhaust...and it's solidly
mounted 2" too high (yes I said solidly mounted).
Prior owner's work....and the intermediate silencer
also has a few leaks.

Any tips to eliminate the smoke?  Are there tests for
the Catalytic Converter?  Lambda sensor?  Or other
tips to pass this thing?  Any recommended
garages/exhaust shops in Burlingame/San Mateo?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike
'88 Grad
http://mailplus.yahoo.com