Shocks with Rugh springs

Greetings Alfisti,

I'm probably revisiting an old thread, but here goes.

I am doing a thorough rebuild/upgrade of the suspension of my 74 GTV.  I
purchased springs from Dave Rugh Engineering.  Using stock f&r swaybars for
now.

The only question is which shocks to use.  I have received recommendations
for Koni reds ( set on full soft in the rear and halfway to firm in the
front ), no recommendations for Koni yellow sport setting,  Sachs sporting
Gas ( but can't find'em for sale anywhere ), and of course for
Bilstein.  Dave Rugh HIGHLY recommends Bilstein and says his springs were
designed as a system with those shocks in mind ( although he won't
elaborate as to WHY ? ) .

My Duetto has Centerline springs  (which are firmer than Rugh's ) and red
Konis set as they came out of the box.  The ride is firm but the roads here
in socal are good. I have no idea how this car would be on the track, which
is where the GTV will go someday.

Dan,
Dave Rugh has told me that he favors Bilsteins because he thinks they give better, more subtle compliance, use better materials, and last longer than almost anything else on the popular market. His racing buddy, Chris Billings, is a professional shock expert, owns one of two shock dynamometers in Portland, and he, too, recommends Bilsteins very highly.

Another reason they like a lot is that, being nonadjustable, Bilsteins are harder for uninformed owners to screw up, as are the red Konis on the back of my car.

I have Rugh springs but have Sachs Sporting Gas Shocks on the front, Koni reds on the rear, of my '72 Spider, because they were in good shape and were (very important) free off parts cars. The Konis are about 1/4 way up from full soft, and do not dampen enough for the Rugh rear springs, but it's been wet and cold, and I haven't gotten around to pulling them out to remove the rubber snubber so I can adjust them. I might just refit the Sachs SG Shocks I had on the rear.

If you pay close attention to their adjustment, your Konis will probably be OK, but if what Chris and Dave say is correct, you'll never know how good your GTV will be until you fit Bilsteins. The last I heard, by the way, Bilsteins were on several months backorder and were not available, at least in the USA. That may have changed by now.

Bests,
Joe
Portland, OR