RE: splenoid=relay

The big difference is that Solenoids handle large loads mechanically and electrically. Relays as we know them in vehicles switch on relatively lighter loads but heavier than many manual switches we find in our cars. When you ask why the Spica coild start solenoid draws more current that the starter solenoid, the simple answer is size and mechanical load. The starter solenoid has many more coil turns with larger wire to do the job of moving the Bendix drive as well as sending very heavy current to turn the motor. The Spica cold start solenoid must push down a very strong spring where space is limited so without getting into how it's built, trust me it is strong enough for that job. However. the load for the ignition switch is a bit much to operate both especially withh a battery not fully charged or when it is cold, freezing, and motor oil turns to jello whiich loads the starter more then not enough juice from the battery which loses much due to the cold. I could go on but you should get the points. Mr. Elliott too. Fred