relays vs contactors

Joe,

Relays are usually rated the same or nearly the same for hold and inrush
current.
Contactors  are normally used for starting motors and compressors that have
high inrush current vs. hold current.
Usually four times as much. They also have a HP rating. And as you said,
they are much bigger.

Everybody else, "Yeah, I know I'm completely wrong, someone please tell us
all why!"

>From: Joe Elliott  <mailto:jee@domain.elided> jee@domain.elided
>Subject: Re: '91 Spider
>This raises a question that's bothered me for a long time--what the heck is

>the difference between a relay and a contactor? Besides the latter being
bigger.

Dave Partridge
Idiot at Large