From: "Tim Czajka" <timczajka@domain.elided>
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: 1991 Spider Veloce Starter Problem - help
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 09:28:30 -0700

Hello - a relative of mine is having trouble with his 1991 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. The engine will not turn over. The battery is in good charge and partial turn of the ignition switch lights up all the dash lights. But upon further turning of the key - nothing. No cranking of the starter and no clicking of the solenoid/switch.

The starter and solenoid have been rebuilt - still I would like to test but the CD repair manual is not clear. Does anyone know what voltage the field wire (wire from the ignition switch) supplies to the solenoid to kick the starter? Is it plain 12 volts?

Also it appears from the schematic that the field wire runs direct from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid - no fuses etc. Is this correct. Before I start tracing the wire I would like to know if there are any specific areas I should look for - fusible link, fuses, relays, etc.

I have tested the main wire that supplies battery cranking power to the starter and the circuit is good. So I have narrowed the problem down to either an open circuit somewhere between the ignition switch and the starter, or still some sort of problem with the starter solenoid, or a malfunction in the ignition switch itself.

Any ideas or experience related to this problem would be appreciated. I own a 1972 Series III Land Rover and LR owners often do battle with the dark prince (Lucas) - do you guys have a similar adversary?

Thanks - Tim Czajka