Transporter Plates

The Motor Vehicle Department of many (most?) states will give you a paper pass
for a few days to transport a car.

"Transporter Plates" implies to me that you're wanting dealer-type permission
to do it frequently. If it's one-time-only, start with the Motor Vehicle
Department where the car is currently located and explain what you want to do.

Another possibility: I moved a car out of New York a few years ago. I paid
30-something dollars to New York for a full year's registration, then applied
for a refund of the remaining 11 months after I got it to the Republic of
California.

Karl