brakes, GTV6, problem with

I just finished putting the new discs and pads on the front of the GTV6, and when I hopped in the car to stomp on the pedal and set the pads, it was extremely squishy. I bled just a wee bit of fluid out of both front calipers, and I think I actually got a little air (!) out of the left one, but I don't understand what's going on here. I have to do some driving tomorrow, so I hope I have some semblance of brakes. How could pushing the pistons back have had this effect on the hydraulics?? They're not leaking or anything. I did push a whole lot of fluid back, enough that it overflowed and dripped down the master cylinder before I noticed. What went wrong? I've replaced pads before and never had this problem. If there was already air in the system and it got moved, it's not as if it would behave differently in a different spot--pressure should be the same throughout.

G'night,
Joe Elliott