re: 164 oil leak

>Engine oil pools up between the cyclinder heads. I cannot detect where
>it's coming from.  Thought it was the oil pressure sender and replaced
>it. No luck.  Seems like oil loss is greatest when at capacity. Now it
>seems to have stabilized midway on the dipstick.

You likely have the same leak as I do on one of the AlfaBill fleet. It's
not the oil sender, it's possibly, likely the head gasket about 2/3 back on
the front head, there's an oil passage close to the edge and mine has the
tiniest little trickle that pools up after a while. It can be a hazard in
left turns when the puddle flows over the water pump area and does a
misting when it hits the belts.

Mine is so minor that I keep it clean and I'm waiting for another excuse to
pull the head on an otherwise sweet running car. This leak stumped 2
different shops. At the shock of others purer than I, I have a piece of
"absorbent  material" deftly placed to catch the minor flow forward. It's
more annoyance than anything else. It hasn't gotten worse in 11,000 miles.

YMMV....
91 168 B ( driveway security princess )
91 164 L (wife's car)
91 164 L ( daily driver and AlfaBill.com delivery mule, specially modified
rear pass. area for cargo )

Bill Harkell
AlfaBill LLC
Tampa Florida USA