From: alfanatic
Date: Tuesday, 07 January 2003 05:26:58 PM
To: neily@domain.elided
Cc: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: RE: GTV6 Cowl Vent Drainage

Hi Bert,

I've had this exact problem with both my Alfettas.
Where you'll find the cowl drainage on
GTV6/Alfettas is somewhere on each end of the cowl
(I've yet to actually see the drain hole), from
there, it drains inside the fenders, behind the
front wheels, where it is supposed to drain
between the spot where you place the jack for
lifting the front wheels, and right behind the
front wheel arch. Problem is...any tiny leaf or a
large amount of dirt at once, will clog these
holes, which will in turn, flood your front
footwells in a hard rain. The surprising part is
just how much muck the inner fenders can hold! I
scraped out at least three pounds of crap out of
each car. The easiest way to do it is to remove
the rear wheel well panel which is held in by
rivets. Drill them out, and take off that panel,
and you'll most likely be looking at a very scary
sight. Scrape it all out, and spray some
pressurized water into the cavity to flush it all
out. Do not, however, pour or spray a large
quantity on water into the cowl vent, as it will
send water through the two fresh air dash vents
located on the outermost edges of the dashboard
into the cabin (ask me how I know this!). A small
amount of water can be poured through the cowl to
flush out the rest of the stuff collected up
above, just be gentle with the force of the flow.
I'm guessing that this will need to be a regular
maintenance item, which makes the removal of the
rivets an eventual good thing, since you will need
access to that area from now on. I would
strongly recommend that anyone with one of these
cars do this - whether or not it leaks. The build
up of muck will rapidly promote rust in the lower
rocker panels and lower front fenders. If you
need further clarification, let me know and I'll
send you some digital pics of what and where to
look for this.
Happy excavating!

lfetta Sedan
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce