white stuff on valves....

HI,

Today I took apart one of my spiders' engine and noticed some very hard
white stuff on the intake values.  What is the cause of this ?  I did not
see
a significant head gasket failure, but a very slight milk in the oil.
Did I have a head gasket leak from the coolant ?

Could it have been burnt oil past the rings ?

I for the past two years have had really bad acceleration when cold with
this
engine which was the major reason for me to take it apart.

Thanks,

Doug Kunzman