Bosch L Jetronic Surging

I am having a very difficult time trying to resolve a surging issue in my newly rebuilt 2.5 litre motor in my 1983 GTV6. First the symptoms as shown by a Micro Dyno exhaust 02 monitor driven by the lambda sensor in the exhaust. In closed loop operation the display shows that the mixture is changing from slightly rich- one green led lit- to so lean it is off scale. The rate of the cycling is approx one hertz at 2000 rpm and is dependent on engine speed- the cycling rate increases as engine rpm increases. In open loop with the input to the control unit disconnected the mixture is steady, it is also steady in closed loop at Wide-Open Throttle.

The motor has about 1000 miles on the rebuild with low mileage piston, de-glazed liners, new rings and valve guides, refaced valves and seats. Compression is good and even across all cylinders. So far I have substituted the control unit for another, changed the air flow meter and tested the air flow meter for ease of movement and for a steady and contiguous output voltage, tested and changed the Temp 2 sensor, tested and changed the aux. air device and installed a new universal replacement lambda sensor, the original sensor was dead. There are no vacuum leaks as indicated by a vacuum gauge and as per the compressed air and soap leak test from the Bosch trouble-shooting guide. I have even disconnected the other hoses to the plenum from the brake booster, vapour recovery system and crankcase breather and sealed the plenum orifices. The fuel pump and pressure regulator pass all tests as per the manual and I have changed the new regulator as well. Injectors were serviced and ultrasonically cleaned when the engine was rebuilt and I have tried two other sets just to be sure. Camshafts are stock and cam timing and ignition timing are stock. Open loop mixture has been set as per the manual and grounding the input lead to the controller results in a full rich mixture. Substituting a voltage source as the lambda input to the controller allows the mixture to change as the voltage is adjusted and the exhaust 02 monitor shows a steady mixture. NONE of the changes has made any difference to the closed loop operation, except the rebuilt injectors do idle a bit smoother. All electrical connectors have been cleaned and treated with De-Oxit. Plugs, cap, rotor and high-tension leads have been changed. A Sun scope indicates that cylinders 3 and 6 are a little rich on the rebuilt injectors but I have not redone the test with another injector set.

The car starts instantly when cold but takes some cranking when warm- 35-45 degrees C. When driven the car feels like it is running lean, power is down - it just does not feel right under less than WOT.

Any thoughts gentlemen?