164 Turning itself off saga

Hi All,
Almost exactly 6 weeks after it ground to a halt my 164 24v re-started after
a sterling effort by the trusty Dave at Intaservices Leicester (who only
charged me for half the hours he spent on it). The problem was that the car
turned itself off and refused to start giving a keycode warning suggesting a
fault in the key immobiliser system. We relaced the keycode module and had
the ECU tested, both proved to be fruitless because nothing changed. The
wiring diagram on the Alfa Disc was garbage and all other diagrams we had
were also suspect but eventually Dave worked out whch wire was which. He
traced the problem to a wire rubbing on the bulkhead under the dashboard and
intermitently shorting out. Apparently the piece of metal was razor sharp
and had cut through the insulation of the wire. SO if your 164 24v cuts out
like that I suggest you look under the dash at the wiring first before
parting with hundreds on wild goose chases. Also dont trust the wiring on
car disc, there are several diferent variations and so it is only luck if
you have the correct one.
Regards
Mike Salter,
164 24v 1995 now going well again (probably because it was threatened with
replacement by a Ford Focus Deisel).