RE: 164 help needed

Jeff/Richard  - in addition to a possible bad O2 sensor you could have a bad
connection giving the 1223 code.  The wires leading up from the O2 sensor have
a connector located up behind the engine.  I found this one only after
replacing the sensor on one of my 164s and still getting the 1223... then
found the dangling connector (unconnected).

Still, it seems like the car is acting extremely bad for just that.  I'd
advise two things only because I was advised to do them and they are known
trouble spots on the 164.  Clean out the idle air device with gumout per
instructions on the 164 site.  Also, and more importantly for a bad running
164, give all rubber hoses on the intake a serious looking over for air leaks.
I found a split intake boot ( the big ribbed rubber one from afm to plenum)
after months of intermittent problems.  The split was on the underside of the
boot and not easy to spot.

Sorry if these basics have already been covered.  Hope you can find the
fault.

Chris Lesher
Boulder CO

164S - FOR SALE - http://home.attbi.com/~lechalet/164Sindex.html