Alfetta Radiator Problem

Leslie Wong asks if $325 is too much to have his radiator recored. He
also asks about 3 row cores and brass vs aluminum cores.

*********

Leslie, I'd say the $325 sounds about $100 too high. I'd check with
other shops. I will admit you do have a bit of a problem in that the
current radiator shop not only has your radiator, but has it apart.
While they shouldn't, they might ask a bunch just to release it.

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to solder an aluminum core
to a brass header and lower pan. Just having a new 'stock' core should
make the cooling quite good. The only times I've come close to
overheating was sitting in traffic with the air conditioner on. If the
three row core is only slightly more, then use a higher 'rated' radiator
thermal switch - although on cold days it will still take longer before
you have heat.

Yeah, I'd replace the water pump. Whether you do it with the crank
pulley on or off, it is so much easier with the radiator out. Since the
old one has been working fine, keep it as an emergency spare.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA