Spider parking Brake

My 1993 Spider with 18,500 miles on it, has been used as a daily driver for
the last year accumulating 7,000 of its' total in that time. My parking brake
worked quite well until about a week or so ago. It will now no longer engage
the detent that used to hold it (it actually engages it but it won't hold,
almost as if the "ratchet" tooth is worn). If it engages at the next lower
detent it iwll not hold the car on any sort of hill at all. Do I simply need
ot adjust it or have I worn the "ratchet" tooth to the point where I need to
replace something? Or is it more likely the pad that is worn? I just need to
know where to start.
Thanks
Dave