Re: kick plate

Dion, it has been a couple of days since you asked (as I am reading the
Digests, not actual elapsed time, which is approaching two and half weeks)

The problem with the kick plates and the door sills is three fold.  The
rubbing of the kick plate on the door sill as the body flexes, compounded by
the stamped rough edge of the hole in the kick plate, and the breaking of the
paint when the screw goes in.

I did three things to help. I ground off the rough edges on the holes in the
kick plate.  I put a clear vinyl tape down between the sill and the kick
plate to further reduce rubbing, or at least to make it longer to get to
metal to metal contact.  And lastly, I put silicone sealer in and over the
screw holes before you put in the screws.  This effectively seals out the
water that causes the rust.

John Justus
1971 1750 GT Veloce
1995 164 Quadrifoglio