GTV6 ignition amplifier

While driving my  car, 82 GTV6, it cut off and I could not get it
restarted.  After having it towed home, I found that I had no spark.  I
suspected the ignition amplifier and Fred also pointed to it as a possible
culprit.  (Thanks for the help) I found a used one but who knows what life
it has left.  Does anyone have experience in rebuilding these?  They may
no longer be available and they are not cheap, if around.  Kragen had a
price of $600 but I think they go for around $300 if you can find one.