GTV6 Costs-Long

Hi All,

I've been reading some of the posts regarding the high costs of running a
GTV6.  Having owned one since new I thought I would put my 2 lira in.  I
bought my 83 California GTV6(essentially same interior as the 50 state 84
models but the same gear ratio as rest of 83's) in June of 1983.  Over the
years I've found it to be very reliable.  I now have 82,000 miles on it and
while its not used every day (particurally now that it is winter in Utah) I do
not find the costs very much.  The car is essentially stock except for
upgraded suspension, Pandora's box, and Style Auto Wheels.  Since new I've had
a headgasket and valve job done (replaced the lousy 2 piece head gasket) in
1988, second gear syncro, replace an ignition switch, rear axle boot, voltage
regulator, steering wheel joint (the horn would not work),two water pumps(they
are good for about 40K), two tensioners and a tail pipe.  The brakes(not pads
of course), wheel bearings etc.  are original.  Since I was working in the Bay
Area for the klast three years I brought the car down from my house in Utah
and had some discretionary maintenance done by my old friend Rich Ott (Alfetta
Motors).  We put a modified milano shift linkage from APE(Big Improvement),
tensioner, cam belt, water pump, and I had the front seats re done completely
in leather.  I bought on a rotary air conditioning comressor (airco still is
inadequate but as good as it can be).The car had not been looked at by a
qualified mechainc since 1993 when I moved to Boise from the Bay Area.

Overall, I don't think this is bad at all.  I do agree that a poor GTV6 or any
poor Alfa(164!!!) can be a money pit.  If the car is maintained and problems
not fester the GTV6 is relable relatively inexpensive transportaion.  Now all
I have to do is repaint it!  I do use the car to commute in occaisionally ( I
commute 80 miles each way Logan to Salt Lake City).  The GTV6 is not a good
hot weather car in Utah summers when it is over 95 as it tends to overheat but
it is the favorite of all my Alfas.

                        Terry Johnston
                        Logan, UT
                        83 GTV6