electrical components, parts guys

Went to pic up a new voltage regulator for the milano a couple of days ago. I had settled on a Transpo unit as found here http://www.transpo.de/ When I was paying for it the tech behind the counter comments hope you aren't using that for anything important as those VR's are crap. Off I trundled on my way. Made me wonder, how do you tell if the unit (VR, rectifier, relay...) is of good quality and other than bosch stuff how much selection is there out there for aftermarket stuff?
--
Carson Damm
Ft. McMurray, AB

87 Alfa Milano Platinum