Re: Model year of your Alfa - was CSCSQV

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, alfacybersite wrote:

> Paraphrasing James Montebello's comment in #133 regarding the CA DMV
> would use the 'sticker' regarding what year one's car really is.
>
> I'm assuming he is referring to the hard plastic plate with embossed
> information which is glued and pop riveted to the driver's side door
> jam.

Actually, in the case of this particular Berlina, there was a sticker
on the passenger side inner fender (mostly scraped off), which clearly
identified the car as meeting the California emissions regulations for the
1974 model year.  I don't remember what the plate on the doorjamb said,
and the car's no longer in my possession, so I can't check.  Despite that
sticker, the DMV still allowed the car to be registered as a '73 by
some past owner.  The car came to me (and the previous owner) with a
'73 title.  I have no idea what they did to get it registered thusly.
For all I know, the original dealer may have done that.  It could have
been an honest mistake, or a deliberate dodge.  No way of knowing.

I'm now much happier having a 1963 MY car, where none of this applies,
and there will never be any concern at registration time.

james montebello