Rotor Warp

From a Road and Track article, long long ago:

Rotors will warp because the portion the pads are gripping will cool off at a significantly different rate than rest of the rotor. This is especially pronounced if, for instance, you have to sit at a traffic light at the bottom of a very steep hill. They gave no formal solutions to the problem, but I imagine leaving your foot off the brake as much as possible would help.

Every disc-brake car I've ever driven in for any length of time has ended up with warped rotors to some degree, even very new cars like our PT Cruiser (01), and my brother's Pontiac Trans-Am (02). My own spider has very badly warped rotors... the vibration is extremely pronounced when I brake heavily from highway speeds. Another garage project for this winter...

Scott Johnson
Alfa Spider FAQ Author
71 Spider