Re: Brake Rotor Warp - urban legend or not?

       Fred asks - "Here is a question for all of you Digesti.  What make
rotors warp?"  I'm not sure if it's a trick question or not.  I've stepped in
Fred's bear traps before.
 ;->  But for those interested in reading further, here's a url that has an
interesting point of view:

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

       I'm not going to take sides on this debate - mainly because I don't
race, autocross or drive hard on the streets.  So I have no first hand
experience.  I'm sure warping occurs as noted by some of the earlier posts.
And I'm equally sure that many times worn steering or suspension components
are mis-diagnosed as "warped rotors."
       The one interesting note I'll make is that it should be relatively
easy to quantify warp by removing the suspected wheel and measuring run out
of the rotor.  I hear "warped rotor" mentioned all the time with respect to
brake vibration, but I can't recall the last time I saw a run-out measurement
mentioned in conjunction with the problem.
       Food for thought.

Cheers,
Charlie
'89 Spider with perfectly good factory rotors and Axxis Metal Master Pads