164 help needed: transmission noise?

Yesterday, I started hearing odd sounds from the manual transmission in
my 1991 164L.

When I shift into gear (1st, 2nd, or 3rd), I sometimes hear a
whirring/spinning noise, for a few seconds after I've engaged the gear.
 Shifting back into neutral makes the noise go away.  And the noise
sometimes comes back once I re-shift into gear again.  The noise mostly
appears between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM, and never below 2,000 RPM.

To me, it does not sound like any parts are grinding, just
free-spinning.  And, I have no problem actually engaging the gear, so I
don't think it's clutch-related.  Also, the spinning noise increases as
RPMs also increase.

If anybody has an idea what this could be, please lend me your insight!

Thanks,

Ross
http://mailplus.yahoo.com