Re: Is it a '76 or a '77 - confused

Fred Wright writes "my spider has a birth date of 8/76. I have always thought
it was a 77 model. But after doing some research I am not sure. In the Chris
Reed Spider book he talks about the cat warning light which was featured on
the 77's. I don't have one? Hum? The serial number is a 77 model number. It
looks like it was the 853rd built for that year. Thoughts?"

But he doesn't give the serial number, which might have helped - - or might
have confused things beyond redemption.

This was, of course, still in the slightly goofy period when a "model year"
had everything to do with which year's emissions requirement was being met,
and much less to do with anything else.

A 1992 ARI Vehicle Identification List lists model years, types,
certifications, and beginning VINs, but not starting production dates. An
older (circa 1982) ARI Vehicle Identification List adds starting production
dates but also includes some anomalies which may be typos.

That said, the 1992 list includes 1977 type 115.02 (49-state) and type 11541
(CA) Spiders with beginning serial numbers of 115020001011 and 115410001011
respectively. The circa 1982 list includes the same year, type#, version and
starting chassis numbers but also gives May 1977 as the starting production
dates for both cars. For the 1976 Spiders, all type 11502 49-state cars, they
give slightly different starting chassis numbers, 115023048031 on the '92 list
and 115023058031 on the '82 list with a beginning production date of October
1976, which would push Fred's August 1976 car back to a nominal "1975" model
year, which had first chassis number of 115023047001 on both lists, with a
starting production date of March 1975 according to the '82 list.

HTH?

John H.