spider exhaust manifolds

In a message dated 12/14/2002 6:08:36 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 17:53:44 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Anthony" <tg60@domain.elided>
> Subject: spider exhaust manifolds.
>
> Ha... those pesky exhaust manifolds, and how they crack! what can a poor
> alfista do but pony up the $295? are they any good street legal
> alternatives out there? TonyG87 grad.

       The stock manifolds do not crack that badly.  They can and do crack,
but I have not had a lot of problems.  Do make sure all exhaust mounts are
correct and in good shape.  If the exhaust is supported only by the header,
they may be why yours are cracking.  How many have you cracked recently?

       And exactly what Alfa are we talking about here?  Do you have an 87
graduate?  I had two 87 spiders and had no problems with either.  I have
several parts cars from the mid 1980's and could sell you one.

       Watch on eBay for a replacement.  A good set of 67 to 74 manifolds can
be had for $40 or so.  Of course, some people want $150 for the same thing.
Fitting the early exhaust manifolds will give a better flowing exhaust that
will still be street legal.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City