1991 164 fast idle/surging

On my way to work this morning (chilly 19 F) I noticed that when I came to a
stop the
idle was fast (about 1600 RPM in park) and surging. The car was bucking
slightly when I was accelerating.
At lunch time (about 37 F) I took a look under the hood with the engine running
for signs of vacum leaks.  None that I could spot.
When I removed the electrical connector from the idle mechanism there was no
change in engine speed.
At this point, I also noticed that the "check engine" light had come on.   The
code I pulled out was 1-2-1-2.
I compared that to a set of procedures on Motronic Self-Diagnosis that Fred
Dimatteo (2 Dec 1996) had made available to
alfa owners.  According to the memo, the code corresponds to "Short circuit to
ground of minimum throttle opening switch".
Can somebody tell me where this switch is located?  Not sure if I might have
caused the "check engine" light to come on by pulling
the connector with the engine running.  Any help would be appreciated.

Fred, if you read this message, do you have any suggestion?

Antonio Riso
1991 164L