Re: alfa-digest V9 #103

That was fun. Especially nice to see the the 1936 Alfa 8C win the pre-war event, and the 1968 Alfa 33 win the prototype event and overall. The pace car was an Alfa 166, which is the replacement for the 164 and is Alfa's largest sedan (considerably bigger than a 156). As usual, the British commentators were terrible. They'd talk about one car while another was on the screen, and were full of misinformation. For instance, I wasn't aware that the Jaguar D-type had a 5.5 liter engine, were you? But that's what they said. Of course, everybody knows that a Jaguar D-type had a 3.4 liter straight -six and that the biggest that the XK engine ever got was 4.2 liters. Oh, well!

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Saturday, Dec 7, 2002, at 14:18 US/Pacific, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 12:28:09 -0800
From: "Mr. Leslie Wong" <lesliewong@domain.elided>
Subject: Le Mans Classic - Lots of Alfas

I just saw part of the Le Mans Classic from last September on Speed Channel.
There were Alfa 8Cs, T33/2s, T33/3s, TZs and others in vintage racing
against cars from 1923 to 1975. It is great to see all those cars.

It will air again twice on Sunday, 8 December 2002 and twice on Friday, 13
December 2002.

The pace car was a current Alfa (156 GTA?), though I couldn't identify it
because the only current Alfa I've seen a 147.

Leslie Wong
1979 Sprint Veloce