Sprockets - chain gets loose - tensioner lock came out

Anthony,
Fred, of course, is right again. I had this exact problem, didn't discover
it until I tried to put the new upper chain in and it was too short!  What
was happening was the lock piece jammed the tensioner, so it wouldn't go all
the way back.  Go to the bottom of
http://www.kcaroc.org/techses/89rebuild4/thumbs.html
to see my fumbling through this discovery.  Disclaimer: this is my first
rebuild and I'm a total amateur.  Don't take everything up there as true,
and correct me if I'm wrong.  I'm just documenting to help the next guy,
since I couldn't find something like this when I started.
Dan in kc, 89 spider