RE:chain Ben tightening

Ben, I thought I answered your questions. please tell me if you got it. Since you decided to put your questions in the Digest I had better post my reply there, Before I go further. let me announce what the EYE doctor at the VA clinic told me today (might give you a clue to the typos i mke too often) "Fred you are now legally blind") No more driving etc. A shock to be sure but I can cope. What hurts a lot is my inability to trace a wiring diagram or read a newspaper, magazine or book without magnification. The VA will give me a 20 inch monitor with a keyboard to magnify any thing I want to read in bw or color. It may be several weeks before I get it. so please be patient, I still want to help you, no more ass kicking, I promise.
Ben asks why do I and European manufacturers tell people to push cars instead of using a wrench on the crank shaft nut. He says practically all no urge using the wrench. True because most cars have slush boxes. I must write articles so the novice with few if any tools or experience can at least help themselves. the experiened use the methods best for them. Too, some Alfas have little space to get to the crank nut with radiator and shrouds in the ay, Chain tightening as I describe it can be done by anyone with basic skills and tools. Sorry if this is not exctly as I sent Ben but it is close enough. PLEASE, no tears or sympathy notes. sincerely yours, Fred Di Matteo in sunny Florida --