Richard's rounded allen bolt removal

>at this point, i hit the hitch that is causing me to fall back and regroup
>- -- the lower one of the two allen head bolts that fasten the crank sensor
>in place is rounded. i can probably get a suitable replacement at the local
>hardware store (they have a decent metric fastener section), _if_ i can get
>it out. i can't get my needle nose vise grips to grab onto it firmly
>enough; there's just enough room, but they're slipping off.

well hope i can help here, and please know that i do not know a thing about
164's but maybe you can try this if you have enough room to do it: take a
dremel tool with the fiberglas cutting wheen and cut a slot in the head of
the stripped allen head bolt. this will give you a place to put the large
flathead screwdriver (preferably the Snap-On that has the hex next to the
handle so you can get extra turning power with a wrench. I have used this
technique more than once,works great. Another method i know of is to find a
spare allen key wrench thats already been broken short and cut a small
length and spot weld into the head of the allen bolt with a mig welder, then
use the correct socket,extension,and ratchet to remove the bolt. this doesnt
take much room since the mig welder head is fairly small, works great in
confined areas with a little patience. Like i said, i dont know what the
area around that bolt is like, but maybe one of these methods will work for
ya. HTH.

Keith S.
73 spider