Belts'n'things

Ron Horowitz sez:

>Ron Horowitz also wrote "Interestingly, the first DOHC motor to use a
cogged
>belt was a Panard special built right here in the USA using Norton "double
>knocker" DOHC heads and barrels machined and bolted to a Panard block.
(And
>the manufacturer of the drive belts said it would never work!)" Skipping
>another spelling quibble- wasn't it Panhard?

>Yes. Slip of the keyboard. Same spelling as "Panhard rod."

Well, now, I'd think that a car with the above modifications would *be* a
"Panhard rod!"

I'm still waiting for someone to confirm or deny the '64-'65 date for the Pontiac
OHC 6. My admittedly tenuous claim to that date is remembering having been driven
around by a co-worker in his new OHC Tempest, and it had to be prior to 5-65
'cause that's when the a**h*le helped get me fired...

And I can also claim to have ridden in a Goggomobil, and I was well over 4 at the
time - a Warrant Officer at Elmendorf AFB in Alaska had one, and he picked me up
several times when I was hitchhiking into Anchorage. Funny how many microcars
made it up there, including my own Fiat 500. What I remember most about the Goggo
was that the shift pattern was sideways.

Obligatory Alfa Content: Alaska was where my love affair with Alfas got its
start. I was over at this guy's house, and I was going on about how beautifully
put together Honda motorcycle engines were. So he said, "You wanna see
beautiful?" and reached through some curtains into a closet and started pulling
out Alfa engine parts. They were all cleaned up and stripped of the iron and
steel bits, so of course they seemed to me incredibly light. He grabbed a head
with one hand and gave it to me, saying, "Now, just look through those ports!"
Wow, I could look in the intake port and see out the exhaust...never got over it.
Not so far, anyway...

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA