of farm tractors and alfas

Well, almost.  I've been shopping for a medium sized, 40 - 50 hp tractor.
As far as new tractors are concerned, I've looked at Massey Ferguson,
Mahindra (India), Zetor (Czechoslovakia) and New Holland (where the alfa
connection appears).  Now, I've always just assumed that New Holland was a
part of Ford and took over Ford's tractor production.  That's not totally
accurate.  But, in any event, when I was at the New Holland dealer on
Tuesday, I asked the salesman what engine powered the particular tractor
that I was interested in.  He repsonded that it had a FIAT engine.  And I
thought, 'aha, alfa content.'

Alas, after comparing the spec. sheets on competitive tractors from the
aforementioned manufacturers, I'v become most impressed with the Zetor.  The
Zetor exceeds the others in pto hp, lift capacity and weight.  If anyone has
any experience with Zetor tractors, please email me off-digest.  I'm
interested in your experiences.

Rodney Tidwell
in Mississippi