Re: Giulia Super Musings

Having read Dana Loomis' ode to the inherent goodness of the Giulia Super
several Digests ago, I have to concur -- not least because I repurchased my
old Giulia Super from Dana several weeks ago, and had a fair amount of time
to get reacquainted with her on the 400-plus mile journey back home.

I think the true delight of the Super experiece is how unexpected it all is,
even to one quite familiar with the model. After all, a Bertone coupe or a
GTV-6 has a style and presence that presages some significant level of
performance. A Super, on the other hand, looks as if 20 circus clowns might
burst from its four doors at any moment. My wife, who is more often than not
my anchor to the wide world outside of my own immediate experience, refers
to it as "the Minnie Pearl car." Every morning I take a long look at the car
and just have to shake my head and smile.

For all this, it goes like hell. It's handling, while certainly eclipsed by
most modern cars, is predictable and entertaining. And, what never ceases to
amuse and surprise me, it connects me to my fellow motorists on what are
otherwise highways filled with murderous intent. Other drivers want to slow
down and take a peek and give you the thumbs-up, or let you change lanes
just so they can follow the car for a while. The car seems to bring them
joy, too.

Quite a trick, that.

Joe Fillip
Swarthmore, PA