Remove Stuck Rotor on Spider

Hello all,
 I bought a rotor for my 91 spider over a year ago and everytime I tried to pull the old one out, it stuck so solid in place, I tried to pry it up with screw driver but it didn't seem to move and I ended up cleaning the contacts of the old rotor with sand paper.
 Is there a safe way to remove this rotor, break it open? Everytime I clean the contacts of the rotor and distributor cap, the car runs better, so I didn't really have to replace the new rotor. But I like to replace it some day... hehehehe.

Thanks,

Louis Le
91 Spider Veloce,
Sunnyvale, CA

PS: Thanks for all of your advice on hand brake got stuck half way. I took out to console, cleaned the bottom of the hand brake with a small screwdriver and found 4 little screws stuck under there. The hand brake lever is fully functional now.