Re: Contact patch again???

The discussion below entices me to make one additional point.  Grip is
perhaps most affected by weight.  The "law" stating that frictional force =
friction coefficient x normal force (weight) is only approximately correct.
 While more weight gives more grip [grip being frictional force that
resists loss of traction, either forward (acceleration or braking) or
lateral (cornering)], the increase in grip is not quite proportional to the
increase in weight.  Thus the lighter a car is, the better its tires grip,
relatively speaking.  This is also the touchstone of chassis tuning--the
best handling is with all corner weights the same.  Thus, if an ideal car
with 500 lbs on each rear wheel corners at 0.5 g, a similar car with 400
lbs on one wheel and 600 on the other (due to lateral weight transfer)will
corner at less than 0.5 g--the 600 lb side will have more grip and the 400
lb side less, but their sum will be less than the case with both tires at
500.  So total weight (including of course unsprung weight) enters
prominently into handling, perhaps more so than some of the tire issues
being considered.  Sorry if everyone already knows this, but it seemed to
come up naturally in this discussion.

While I agree with Mr. Smith's comments below, I would add that short stiff
sidewalls, and consequent low slip angles, are always an advantage on
smooth pavement but with bumps, the suspension must behave properly in
order to keep the tire flat on the ground.  Older tires are more forgiving
of camber change or roll with bumps/cornering.  I don't know how my 72 does
in this department compared to newer cars that come stock with low aspect
ratio tires.

Bob Wilkinson
72 Spider