Subject: RE: 17" wheels on a Spider

What doesn't compute here is (according to manufacturers website) the
lower
profile tire with the same OD weighs the same or more than the larger
sidewall size.   Logically, it's less rubber, and I stand my the
statement
that the added aluminium in the wheels (simply elongating the spokes,
depending on design) is less.

The key to both arguments here could very well be design.   Since the
original statement was that swapping to big 17" wheels will add unsprung
weight, I think the numbers show that to be untrue.   Apples to apples
it
seems like it depends on the wheel and tire combo you choose.

Aah, but factor in my original reason for the switch and you lose
probably fiftysome pounds by chucking the spare and jack, you know,
when you put run-flats on those big wheels.

~Tony M.