Numerology (was: engine out)

TJ Noto asks: "I was able to clean the block off around the serial number
stamping and wondered if anyone knows if there was logic around the way Alfa
numbered their engines.  Clearly they don't match VIN, but I noticed that the
first number on the block was 0536 which seems to match the 105.36 model
designation of the GT Veloce.  Or maybe that's just coincidence?   There is
then a second 4-digit number which I think is the engine number.  Has anyone
had any experience trying to decipher these numbers?  Does Elvira know how to
provide information on engine numbers?"

No, no coincidence. The chassis numbers and engine numbers by models and years
are all in Fusi. Elvira would certainly know how to provide information on
engine numbers, but she is probably set up to provide more limited data more
readily; a marvelous lady, as helpful as could be, but time is limited-

The data listed in ARA's "Vehicle Identification List", which every dealer
had, gives for the 1600 Giulia Sprint GTV (USA version, it says) a starting
chassis number 10536.240.770, and a starting engine number 00536.00.770,
obviously connected by the '536' and the '770'. A small fly in the ointment,
though; on the next line the 105.03 Spider ('Duetto', starting chassis number
10503.660.001, shows the same starting engine number 00536.00.770. Both cars
entered production at the same time, (March 1966,it says) but the engines and
the coupe hulls were built at Arese and the Spider hulls were shipped in from
PF at Grugliasco. I would assume a certain hierarchy governs - In Fusi, the
10536 GTV, 10537 GTV rhd, 10503 Spider and 10505 Spider rhd all had engines
from the group with starting numbers 00536.00.770. Clearly, with four model
numbers - 10536, 10537, 10503, and 10505 sharing engines the last numbers
would quickly become decoupled.

So, howcum the 770s were linked with the 66 coupes? T'was because the 10536 GT
Veloce started production in 1965, with a starting chassis number
10536.240.001, and a starting engine number 00536.00.001, before there were
any Duettos or any rhd versions of either car. And from all the above I can
assume that the introduction of the Veloce to the USA was delayed to match
that of the Duetto. Trivia? Of course. But each grain of sand enriches, very
slightly, one's picture of the company and the culture- for some people,
anyhow. Which is one of the reasons why some of us cherish our Fusis.

Enjoy,

John H.