'84 Spider tach questions?

I've asked this question before BUT where does the tach on a '84 Spider get its
signal?

I've been told it's the white wire on the ignition coil.  I can't seem to get
the tach working!  The instrument itself seems OK.  The wiring diagram is a bit
difficult for me to interpret.

The overhaul manual indicates the rpm sensor on the bellhousing is the
tachometer pickup.  I think this is actually the rpm sensor for the ECU, not
the tachometer.  The P.O. replaced the reference sensor(supposedly the same?),
possibly related?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jeff