Water in trans, backyard Alfas

Will Owen's idea of using WD-40 is pretty darn good. Several months ago
when I had to drill out the drain plug on not one but two transaxles, I
was left with a fair amount of metal chips inside. I got what I could
with a magnet and then with the ends of the transaxle perched on blocks
of wood and a drain pan below, I turned the transaxle on it's side,
installed the new drain plug, and poured a quart or so of lacquer
thinner in the filler hole, then installed that plug. I'm not the
biggest / strongest guy in the world, but managed to lift the ends up
and slosh the thinner around. The second transaxle  I did, I had to
repeat about six times until I couldn't see any more metal filings in
the drain pan. Then added oil. Possibly there was slight dilution from
any remaining thinner, but doubt if there was much.

To be doubly sure, you might want to drain / refill the gear oil after
the transaxle is installed and the oil has come up to 'operating
temperature'.

What is amazing the only place water 'should' be able to get inside the
case is through the rear vent hole. Wonder if it was actually under
water at one time.

I liked the 20 year old young lady's question regarding 'how many Alfas
in the back yard'? I'm guessing she learned early on from either her
dad, brother, or boyfriend (yes, I'm doubting strongly it would be
mother, sister, girlfriend, but possibly...) and she was clever enough
to realize this really is a quite contagious disease amongst people of
the Alfa persuasion.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA