Re: SPICA, then ramblings

SPICA started out making diesel injection systems for trucks and tractors, and modified it to work with gasoline at Alfa's request. Its not a 'copy' of a diesel deign, its a modification of a an existing diesel FI design by the same company (according to Wes Ingram). I don't think SPICA is even in business any more, but if one buys new Lodge Golden spark plugs for one's Alfa, the box has the SPICA logo on the box end!(???)

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Friday, November 22, 2002, at 01:54 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 23:05:54 -0800
From: "Mike Nakamura" <mike_nakamura@domain.elided>
Subject: SPICA, then ramblings

Did ALFA copy a diesel injection system for SPICA?

When my dad first saw my Spider engine (72), I was showing him all of
the features and before I mentioned the injection, he said, "Oh it's got
fuel injection."

I acknowledged and of course, he told me the SPICA looked like an
injection pump he had seen on diesel engines. He thought it was good,
not a big fancy deal, rather just like thousands of diesel engines. My
dad got me interested in twin cam cars, he told me that the Pontiac
inline 6 with dohc engine was cool (Cannot remember the model, sometime
in late 60's or early 70's).

So if ALFA borrowed mechanical injection technology for SPICA, did the
Italians copy and improve? If yes, maybe the Italians even copied and
improved before the copying and improving Japanese (they even copied
copying and improving, rip off). On the other hand, how much was SPICA
an improvement over existing fuel injection technology? Can you say copy
and just copy?

I think mechanical injection is pretty cool, just like I prefer castings
for the sump, differential and other parts. That's one of the things I
enjoy about ALFA's, nice cast parts. Other makes have some beautiful
parts too, somehow I prefer Italian style. No common sense, just
preference. Maybe if I was a programmer, I would appreciate good code
like complex castings or machining. I'm just a dumb user. But wait, I'm
not a foundry worker or machinist either, how come I appreciate nice
looking mechanical parts? Guess I don't see good or bad code... And to
make it worse, I'm not a designer, but I enjoy "nice" looking things
like Alfetta Sedans (I owned three).

It's my view that mechanical injection was over taken by electronic
injection just as carburetors were superseded by electronic injection
because electronic injection was cheaper to tune for the best compromise
between low emissions and drivability. During the push for emission
control, electronic controls were incorporated into (or hacked onto)
carburetor systems. If electronic injection was not available,
mechanical injection may have prevailed.

I wonder if US emission and mileage standards brought hi-performance
electronic engine management systems to us faster or if there would have
been market demand for them. The computer has affected automobile to
such an extent, it's daunting to begin thinking about the impact.

Tess: Not time on my hands, just having fun (Read: Can't resist
commenting). On second thought, making time on my hands. No Montreal to
polish and clean. I may have told you Graduate steel wheel weigh 11
pounds, but if I did, I was lying. I had a set of 6 X 14, 4-spoke BWA
Sportstar wheels on the 72 Spider. They were about 12.5 pounds.

Wow, that got too long. Take care, have a good ALFA day.

Mike Nakamura
Fall City WA USA
mike_nakamura@domain.elided
91 Spider Veloce