RE: Contact Patch

Mark,
       I beg to differ.  This is completely counter intuitive.

>Physics 101: Contact patch area is primarily a function of pressure and the
>load on the tyre - force = pressure x area.

Force is the weight of the car on the road.  Ignoring the minor weight
differences of wheel and tire combos (which Mike has so nicely documented),
force is fixed.  Pressure is the force per unit area the tread exerts on the
road.  IT IS NOT TIRE PRESSURE.  Tire pressure is the force per unit area the
air in the tire is exerting in ALL directions - against the tread, against
the sidewalls, against the inner wheel.  Also, some of the force of the cars
mass is transfered directly to the tread via the tire sidewall and not air
pressure.  So there has to be a component of force that is independent of
tire pressure.

And yes, this is only a simple static situation.  Things get infinitely
complicated under dynamic load!

Cheers,
Charlie