Bigger is not better

Glenn wrote:  A 17" wheel that's sufficiently light would seem to have
few disadvantages.

How about:  A strange sense of disproportion and anachronism.  I guess
I'm too much of a purist.  To me, maintaining and improving the mostly
original configuration of a special car like a Spider is the goal.  How
many thousand Mustangs have been scrapped over the years because
de-souping and restoring them was too daunting a project?  (I know folks
have said on here that they don't like turbinas, but I think they have
their beauty.  I like mine. I wouldn't mind, however, putting on
Panasports, if I could explain to my wife how the investment would
improve our chances of a comfortable retirement -- but this would be an
enhancement of the car's inherent nature and proportions.)

Besides, if you put 17 inchers on, you'll have to acquire a surly,
dismissive glance, have piercings and tattoos in strange places and add
a bumper sticker reading "my other car is . . . like . . . a
skateboard."  You'll also need a coffee-can exhaust to go with them.

Doug

[demime 0.99c.7 removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of dharris.vcf]